I know what you’re thinking, “duh, Mimi – we are all adults with varying degrees of intelligence, but if this is first occurring to you now, then there is perhaps more wrong with you than you have been sharing.” Ok – I was just hoping to get your attention. I received a Sunshine Blogger Award today from a blogger who truly brings the sunshine with her every time she writes. I love that she felt that I was deserving of such praise from her. Her blog – ‘blessedwithastarontheforehead.wordpress.com – is a delight and I send her many thank yous for being so generous with me.
I’m going to be compliant..I will follow the rules. Ten things about me –
1. I was the first Jewish cheerleader at Hobart & William Smith Colleges during my sophomore year there. Retrospectively, this is a bit of an embarrassment. They chose me because they needed a really vertically challenged girl and I fit that bill at 5’o”. I’m now a whopping 4’11”.
2. My sister and I were in the opening clip of a ‘blue’ movie when I was five and she was eight and half. Our uncle was a film director specializing in the types of movies that used to be reviewed by Playboy. We played passengers on a plane. I got $2.00 for sitting on a plane in a hangar at LaGuardia Airport. I didn’t understand why my mother so vehemently discouraged me from trying to get autographs.
3. I have very long conversations with my dogs. They always see things my way.
4. Although my kids loved Mr. Rogers, there was something about him I found a little scary (with no disrespect intended to any of his family)
5. After visiting and singing at The New Canaan Baptist Church in Harlem, I wanted to become a Baptist. I also wanted Mahalia Jackson to be my mom (along with my own mom of course).
6. I am religious about saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ and meaning it. The good news is, I get remembered a lot. The meh news is that people like to tell me a lot about themselves, even if I’m in the ladies room.
7. I name my cars. I just got a new one – her name is Darcy.
8. I believe that I must have been a very good person in another life, because as tough as some times have been in this one, I have been so flippin’ blessed, it blows my mind.
9. I taught myself how to knit by watching YouTube. I’m about as good as one would be who self-teaches by watching 4 minute videos.
10. I really believe that the care and nurturing of our connection to each other is the key to our professional, personal, individual, familial, social and whatever-other-kind-of-success you can think of.
Ten nominees…I’m hesitating here, only because I got a little burnt before with a couple of responses of ‘thanks-but-no-thanks’. I may be reiterative – I’m sorry. And I’ll add Mimi’s rule – if you don’t like it, don’t acknowledge it. But know that I think the world of what you’re putting out there and your willingness to share your talent and your journey. In some cases it’s the writing, in others it’s the photography, others tell a story I want to understand…
Dr. Bill Wooten
Help Me Rhonda
Donna & Diablo
Adventures In Borderline Land
A Door To The Past
Girl On The Contrary
News Of The Times
Ok…as you know, I have no skill with posting these awards on my site, but that doesn’t diminish my appreciation one iota. Thank you..I love the idea that somehow to some people, I’m associated with sunshine. That makes me very happy.