There’s a lot to be learned about management from going to the movies. Much of what I needed to know about the basics of working with people, I learned from “E.T’. To risk an attenuated blog (for a change), I’ll provide you with the abbreviated version. We can write each other about it as thoughts come to mind…
1. It’s the things we don’t know that scare us the most. Once we face an issue head-on, it typically casts a more comfortable shadow.
2. Don’t discriminate against anyone just because they’re not like you. They may be better.
3. The Platinum Rule trumps the Golden Rule – treat others as they wish to be treated, not necessarily in the way in which you think they want to be treated.
4. M&Ms can improve a bad day.
5. People communicate differently. The first step is to figure out whether or not you understand what someone is trying to tell you and where s/he is coming from (ok, pun intended).
6. Most of us have a Plan A; it’s essential to have a plan B.
7. If you can’t get past an obstacle, enlist the help of others and try hitting it head on or jumping right over it.
8. Love and profit can exist in the same sentence.
9. If you go too far afield from your authentic self, compromise too many values and distance yourself from what you know is right for you, it’s time to get back to an environment where you thrive.
10. Phone home.